top of page


Frequently Asked Questions.jpg
  • What is alcohol?
    Ethyl alcohol, also called ethanol, is an ingredient in beer, wine, and liquor that makes you feel drunk. Alcohol is made by letting yeast, sugars, and starches break down into alcohol.
  • Why do some people react to alcohol in different ways?
    Every organ in the body is changed by alcohol. It slows down the nervous system and gets into the bloodstream quickly from the stomach and small intestine. Enzymes work in the liver to break down alcohol. But the liver can only break down a small amount of alcohol at a time, so the rest of the alcohol goes around the body. The amount of alcohol you drink has a direct effect on how much it affects your body.
  • What does "moderate drinking" mean?
    It means that adults who are old enough to legally drink can choose not to drink or to drink in moderation by having no more than 2 drinks a day for men and no more than 1 drink a day for women. It's better for your health to drink less than to drink more.
  • How much alcohol is too much?
    Excessive alcohol use includes binge drinking, heavy drinking, drinking by people under the legal drinking age of 21, and drinking by women who are pregnant.
  • What is binge drinking?
    Binge drinking is when a person drinks so much alcohol that their blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is 0.08 percent or higher. This way of drinking usually means that men have 5 or more drinks in one sitting, and women have 4 or more drinks in one sitting, usually within 2 hours.
  • What health problems are caused by drinking too much?
    Heavy drinking or binge drinking too much is linked to a number of health problems, including: Long-term diseases like liver cirrhosis (damage to liver cells) and pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas); Cancers of the liver, mouth, throat, larynx (the voice box), and esophagus; High blood pressure; and mental health problems. Unintentional injuries, like those caused by car accidents, falls, drowning, burns, and gunshots. Violence, like abuse of children, murder, and suicide. Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders can happen if a woman drinks while she is pregnant, which is bad for the baby. Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
  • How can I tell if I can drink?
    There are some people who shouldn't drink at all. These people include: Women who are pregnant or might be pregnant. If they are under the age where it is legal to drink. If they have certain health problems or are taking certain medicines that can interact with alcohol. If they are trying to get over an addiction to alcohol or if they can't control how much they drink. To lower the risk of alcohol-related harms, adults who are old enough to drink can choose not to drink or drink in moderation by limiting their intake to 2 drinks or less a day for men and 1 drink or less a day for women.
  • I'm young. Does drinking hurt my health?
    Yes. Studies have shown that teens and young adults who drink alcohol are more likely to get hurt, both seriously and not seriously. Research has also shown that people who start drinking before age 15 are six times more likely to become dependent on alcohol than adults who start drinking at age 21. Teens who drink alcohol are also more likely to engage in risky sexual behavior, do poorly in school, and commit suicide or cause fatal harm someone else.
  • Is it safe to drive after drinking?
    No. When you drink alcohol, your reactions are slower and your judgment and coordination aren't as good. All of these are important skills for safe driving. Remember the more alcohol you drink, the worse the effects.
  • What does it mean to drink more than the law allows?
    The legal limit for drinking is the amount of alcohol a person can have in their body before they can be arrested or lose their license. Legal limits can be measured by a blood alcohol test or a breathalyzer. Legal limits are usually set by state law and can change based on factors like age, occupation, and gender. Note that legal limits do not set a level below which it is safe to drive or do something else. When someone drinks alcohol, it starts to affect them well before the legal limit.
  • How do I know if I have too much to drink?
    When drinking causes problems in your relationships, at school, in your social life, or in how you think and feel, that's a problem
  • What can I do if I know someone who drinks too much?
    If you or someone in your family worries that they might have a drinking problem, you should talk to your personal health care provider, teacher or any other professional service provider.
  • Where can I seek help?
    This list of facilities and specialists in Namibia is by no means exhaustive. The information that has been made available has been done so in good faith and is intended exclusively for informational purposes. SAIF makes no guarantees or warranties regarding the accuracy, sufficiency, validity, dependability, availability, or completeness of the information. SAIF is not responsible for any loss or harm that may result from using or relying on the information. Utilize the information at your own discretion. These services can tell you about treatment programs in your area and put you in touch with someone you can talk to about alcohol problems.
  • Free Services
    CHILDLINE/LIFELINE 1. Telephonic counselling. 2. Schedule a face-to-face session. Toll-free counselling numbers. 116 & 106. Monday-to-Monday 08:00-18:00. Or Tel: +264 61 555 422 or +264 81 140 0222 or +264 61 226 889 | Email: Website: MINISTRY OF HEALTH: DEVELOPMENTAL SOCIAL WELFARE SERVICE Mental Health Hospital, Local Clinics and Hospitals offer free counselling, psychiatric and rehabilitation services by qualified professionals. Etegameno Resource & Rehabilitation Centre Responsible for the treatment and rehabilitation of alcohol and drug dependent individuals and their families under the Directorate Social Welfare Services. Tel: +264 61 269 348/ +264 61 250 404 Social Work Department Central Hospital Tel: +264 61 203 3499 Mental Health Department Central Hospital Tel: +264 61 203 3321 NAMIBIA RED CROSS SOCIETY Head Office: Tel. +(264) 61 413750 Email: | Katutura KHOMAS: Tel. +(264) 61 400 392 | Windhoek KUNENE: Tel. +(264) 65 273 135 | Opuwo ZAMBEZI: Tel. +(264) 66 253 415 | Katima Mulilo GROOTFONTEIN: Tel. +(264)67 243 909 | Grootfontein KAVANGO: Tel. +(264) 66 256 127 | Rundu KHORIXAS: Tel. +(264) 67 331 277 | Khorixas OHANGWENA: Tel. +(264) 65 263 286 | Eehnana OMUSATI: Tel. +(264) 65 251 539 | Outapi OSHIKOTO: Tel. +(264) 65 240 688 | Onandjokwe Hospital CHURCH BASED COUNSELLING: Most churches across the offer free counselling. ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS IN WINDHOEK Cell: +264 81 325 6144 | Website: Meetings take place on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 19h00 – 20h00 at the Methodist Church opposite the Windhoek Public Library in Lüderitz Street. REGAIN TRUST Offers free counselling services and referrals to victims, survivors and anyone affected by Gender Based Violence 08h00-17h00 KHOMAS: +264 81 703 3203 / OMUSATI: +264 81 558 4004 / ERONGO: +264 81 558 4008 / THE MINISTRY OF LABOUR: Offers counseling at the regional offices. AFTERCARE SUPPORT GROUPS FOR ADDICTION Swakopmund: +264 81 233 2525 /+264 81 122 1373 Otjiwarongo: +264 81 209 1969 Usakos: +264 81 860 8326 Outjo: +264 81 255 8683 Walvis Bay: +264 64 21 6366 / 21 6322 Keetsmanshoop: +264 81 747 8783/+264 85 704 3210
  • Subsidized Cost
    PHILIPI TRUST Website: Tel: +264 61 259 291 | N$100.00pp per 1 hour session Email: Address: Erf 7693 Ara Street, Dorado Park PROFESSIONAL COUNSELLING: KIDS & ADULTS Tel: +264 81 443 6821 | N$100.00pp, per 45mins session
  • Medical Aid / Cash Required
    REHAB CENTERS OKONGUARRI THERAPEUTIC CENTRE Email: | Tel: +264 67 697 033/6 Website: MOUNT SINAI RECOVERY CENTRE Address: Plot42 (104.19 mi) Usakos Cell: +264818608326 THERAPISTS, PSYCHOLOGISTS AND PSYCHIATRISTS IN THE PRIVATE SECTOR PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION OF NAMIBIA Find a Psychologist Near You – A list of psychologists per region and their contact details Website:  TELECOM NAMIBIA YELLOW PAGES Website: and the hardcopy telephone directory available at all Telecom office under the yellow pages and medical professionals section. VIRTUAL HEALTH SERVICES Uni-health Website: Tel: +264 81 354 7571 Facebook: Uni-Health Email: Ref: Date Published: 1 February 2022 List Accessed on:
bottom of page